Sunday 30 March 2014


I am not a baker, nor will I ever be.  I did not inherit my Mom’s baking DNA for she is the very best baker I know. I have no patience for measuring and following a recipe, HOWEVER- if there is a sweet something I LOVE, then I am a momentary baker. 

 

Who could ever resist the “Greek Lady Cheesecake”. Somewhere in Hollywood Florida, a little Greek lady once owned a pastry shop and made the world’s most decadently simple cheesecake.  As a svelte teenager when I would visit my Dad who lived there, we would go to 2 places before settling in at home...the “10 cents an oyster” bar to gorge, and then to the little Greek lady pastry shop to pick up the one and only Greek Lady Cheesecake, devoured in one sitting.  She told us if she ever closed her shop, she would then give us the recipe...and she did, so, follow the recipe!

 

4 eggs (room temp)

1 cup white sugar

1 tbsp cornstarch

1 tbsp pure vanilla extract

1 ¾ packages of cream cheese (room temp)

½ cup 35% heavy cream

2 cups sour cream

 

Pre-heat oven at 375 degrees.  Line a medium size cheesecake pan (the kind that has a pop out bottom)  with graham cracker crust that you make with melted butter.  You know that recipe!  No need to pre-cook.

 

Beat eggs for a while until thick, takes a while. Add sugar and cornstarch and keep beating. Add the vanilla.  Break up the cream cheese into pieces and add to the mixture, keep beating until pretty smooth. Add the heavy cream and sour cream and beat forever.

 

This will be a gorgeous, velvety and delicious mixture, taste it!  Pour into the pan and bake for 45 minutes.  THE KEY- let the cake cool down in the oven so the top doesn’t crack. NO TWIST, follow the recipe!

 

Refrigerate for a few hours before serving...it’s the “all time” winning cheesecake.

 

 

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment