Sunday 1 November 2015

This pie is a riff on a classic Canadian dessert.  It is too easy for words and is ridiculously delicious.  I mean, who doesn't love Nanaimo Bars, and imagine, it's a stinky hot summer day and you serve this ice cream marvel to the crew! The first time I tasted it a Suzie and Tassie's (our family cake Queen!) BBQ, I just couldn't believe how good it was...and so I've made it so many times since, and will throughout the winter too.
 
Make your regular Graham cracker crust by adding the chocolate, coconut and ground nuts, I used pecan, but walnut is yummy too. Get your pie shell ready by spreading the crust in the pie pan.  No need to cook!!!
 
Get great quality vanilla ice cream.  I love Chapman's French vanilla.  Leave the ice cream out to get a bit soft and add 3 gigantic heaping tbsp. of the powdered custard and stir it all in until well combined. Place this into the pie crust smoothing it out and freeze for a couple of hours.
 
Make the chocolate ganache topping by combining melted chocolate, I like Baker's semi sweet, and cream. Once creamy and cooled a bit, pour it atop the frozen pie and then freeze again till everything sets. Will need another hour or so.

KEY- do not cover your pie when freezing. Saran or similar will inevitably stick to the chocolate take on a plastic-y taste.So, don't bother.


 
 
This pie won't last for 2 minutes...better make 2 of them!!  Out of control. Really.
 
  • 3/4cup  graham cracker crumbs
  • 1/3cup sweetened shredded coconut (I put more!)
  • 1/3cup finely chopped or ground walnuts or pecans
  • 1/4cup cocoa powder
  • 1/4cup granulated sugar
  • 1/3cup butter, melted
  • 3 tbsp. custard powder, (such as Bird's Traditional)
  • 4cups (1L) French vanilla ice cream, softened
  • 55g semisweet chocolate, (about 2 oz), chopped ( I double this!)
  • 1/4cup whipping cream 35% ( I double this!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment